Wednesday, March 8, 2017

FUNKY COWBOY BOOTS: Fluid Acrylics on Wood

HOWDY All! 



A new 30 x 40" wood sign because...

we just hired a new COWBOY at the ranch!

Did you know that everyone here wears boots every day? But only the cowboys wear spurs. Have you heard the old saying 
"Take off your boots and stay awhile"??  

Nooooo - please don't take off your boots here at the ranch until you are ready for bed! So... for our sign, I changed it to SPURS. Yes - please DO kick off your spurs and stay a while!!! 

Another thing we see around here is chaps. Chaps are leather pants without a seat, worn over jeans, to protect a cowboy's legs. I saw a photo of some dangling rawhide chaps and thought how fun it would be to make them really colorful and rather abstract. 

Here is my original sketch on the wood. 


I typed up the quote on my computer - decided on the size needed - then printed. I used DecoArt Graphite Paper to trace the letters onto the wood.  


Lots of DecoArt Media Black Gesso was used on the background as well as doing the letter with the White Gesso. 


Using DecoArt Media Tinting Base is so fun because it produces unique shades for each color of paint.  At this point, it was all about painting colors and making the chaps/boots look a bit funky!
Truly enjoying the journey with my fluid acrylics on wood and forgot to snap you some peeks. Very rare for me so I know you will forgive me this time.



Products Used:

Yellow Oxide
Dioxazine Purple
Cobalt Turquoise Hue
Burnt Sienna
Titan Buff
Raw Sienna
Raw Umber
English Red Oxide
Prussian Blue Hue

Tinting Base, Black Gesso, White Gesso

0 Black Silver 4940

Dark Sepia, White, Indian Red





I love painting on wood! 
Here is the finished piece in place by the gate!


Some close-up photos: 






Thanks bunches for helping me welcome our new cowboy!!
Hugs. j.


============================
=========================
=====================
===============
==========
  

9 comments:

Pawsitively Creative said...

Well I'll be tickled pink be this design! Not only do you need a congrats on your new bloke but also a congrats on your new sign. Gorgeously gorgeous and such a fun idea! It would be very entertaining to see more chaps wear chaps like these. I am always in awe of how you use wood and acrylics. Swoon goes my heart dearie! Bold, vibrant and magnificent details and color choices. Awesome sauce and thank you for sharing! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

Astrid Maclean said...

Woohoo, brilliant, amazing paintwork, those boots just seem to jump of the page, it looks completely amazing in situ!!

Brenda Brown said...

Wow what an amazing way to be welcomed to the ranch Joi, the sign looks fabulous at the gate and your artistic talents show no bounds. I love this xxx

Words and Pictures said...

Fantastic "woodwork", Joi! Your painting and your handlettering are both fabulous, and all those layers give amazing depth. A wonderful welcome to the ranch.
Alison x

Candy C said...

Joi...this is so cool! I LOVE the way you can freehand and paint! Color me JEALOUS! :) Your lettering is also perfect for this piece...and it's PERFECT for your ranch! Those boots are really cool. Love your work, girl!!! :)

Maura said...

This is awesome! Love the addition of the cowboy boots, and I really want to come through your gate!!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Oh Joi, I just love this. I'm especially drawn to those close-ups with all the mouth-watering texture, contrast and colour. Beautifully done, my artsy friend! xo

sarascloset said...

Another beautiful, rustic sign for your lovely ranch! Love the boots and the saying ...well, it says it all! You have been a very busy lady! Welcome to your new cowboy and his boots/spurs! I hope he stays awhile! Teee Heee! Hugs!

Claudia N. said...

So fantastic, Joi! You are such an amazing painter! Love this to bits!
Claudia x